Tuesday 10 April 2012

It Pays To Know A Hockey Mum or Two!


I am Canadian and I love the sport of hockey. Not that I've ever played it, aside from my gig as goalie with my brother and his friends in a few street hockey games. I had high hopes that one of my girls would play hockey, I'm still clinging to that hope, even though the only one who likes sports won't play hockey because it's a "boys game!". 


I live vicariously through my very talented nephew, who plays rep for Flamborough. He's turned into an amazing player - although we've decided that Auntie (myself) and Uncaley (my hubby) are Kryptonite to Chase and his team. Although we haven't been served official notice, I believe we are banned from his games.  


All is not lost though, our good friends' son plays for the Burlington Eagles, this was his first year. The Tyke division is so much fun to watch! So, we directed our attention to cheering on Owen's team and we didn't have the same disastrous effect on them! Woo hoo! 


I was asked to make a cake for the year end parties for the the Burlington Eagles Tyke AAA team and also the Flamborough Sabres Novice AA team. Of course, for the same day! 
This was my model.
This was cake replica

My neighbour, who is ever the sarcastic and quick-witted fella (like me, just a male version) said there was "no way you can make the Eagles logo on that cake." Hmmm, that, my friends is what I call a "Challonge!" 

The Eagles Logo in fondant
It took a while, but with the help of my Assistant Director of Creative Design (aka: my hubby) we figured out how deconstruct the logo and build it out of fondant. He's clever that way, I think I'll keep him ;) 

The Sabres cake didn't have as intricate a logo to deal with, my biggest challenge was trying to make icing and fondant silver (this is still a work in progress). However, I think the results were not too shabby! 


So, 6 lbs of butter, 12 lbs of icing sugar, 6 layers of cake and 2 batches of homemade marshmallow fondant later, I had 2 cakes ready to go. I was very happy (and tired) to deliver them! Both teams loved their cakes and gobbled them up, I love hearing that kind of feedback! Yay me! 


Not often that these 2 teams meet, they got along fine on our table ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment