Saturday 3 March 2012

Cake Creations

A few of my creations from the past few months. Unfortunately, our old computer crashed and took along with it pictures of some of my first cakes. It would be fun to show off some of my 1st attempts and how I've improved. But alas, that darn computer is keeping them from you!
A dutch chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and raspberry coulis filling. Topped with chocolate ganache and toasted almonds. Twas one yummy cake! 
This piano inspired cake was a fun job...thankfully, we have a piano in our living room for me to run to frequently as reference. Apparently it was a hit with the birthday girl! 
This cake was inspired by the Hunger Games trilogy. My daughter's best friend is a HUGE fan of the series. Her only request was for the cake to have "as much fondant as you can get on it"
And lots of fondant she got! 


A Washington Capitals inspired cake, we found a picture of a vintage jersey and went from there...


Ah yes, the "Biebs"....fortunately, we don't really have Bieber Fever in our house! The cake is covered in buttercream and the zebra stripes are in fondant. I used some cookies to top the cake and spell the birthday girls' name. We glued the Bieber doll to the cake board with icing. 
My most recent cake, I giggled when this request for a "horse" cake came in. How was I going to pull this one off?! I've never had any talent in artwork or sketching (and yet, here I am designing cakes and cookies?!). I could have printed off a picture from the net and traced it, but that would have been too easy. So instead, I spent quite a bit of time sketching and tweaking my horse until I felt it was perfect.
I especially love the mane on the horse; I marbled the fondant with 3 shades of brown and rolled it out. This was also my first attempt at homemade Marshmallow fondant and truly, hands down...it's SO much better than store bought (plus a great workout for my arms) I won't be going back.   

No comments:

Post a Comment